It’s the most wonderful time of the year – our hearts are full of holiday spirit and our homes are full family and good cheer. As we all count our blessings and reflect on memories made throughout the year, it is important to remember those who have been less fortunate for one reason or another. While most of us count down the days to spend the holidays with our loved ones, others may not have that luxury. Tis the season for giving and we’ve got some suggestions on ways that you and your family can give back this holiday season.
- Exchange homemade gifts rather than expensive gifts and donate the money saved to a local charity. Chances are, the homemade gifts will become some of your most prized possessions.
- If you have kids, have them pick out gifts to donate to children in the area who are less fortunate. It is important for our kids to learn the ways of a giving heart.
- Dedicate an entire weekend during the holiday weekend for your family to spend volunteering for local charities in need. Not only are you giving back to your community, but good, quality time with family doesn’t get much better than that.
- Do your research and buy gifts this year from companies that donate proceeds to a good cause. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Open your home on the holiday to a family or individual who is less fortunate. This could be a person who doesn’t have family of their own or a family who can’t afford to indulge in a delicious home cooked holiday meal.
- Forego a big holiday meal in the comfort of your home this year and instead volunteer at a local homeless shelter, helping to feed those in your area who are without homes of their own.
- Donate to local toy drives that make the holiday possible for families who are under-privileged. It is humbling to think about the many children who are ecstatic to receive just ONE gift during the holidays, and you can help make that possible.
- Give the gift of a symbolic donation. The holidays make a great time for this kind of gift. After making a donation in a loved one’s name, these gifts usually come with a certificate or information packet that you can include in a card in place of a regular gift. This is a great way to inspire others to pay it forward.
- Spread the love and giving spirit of the holidays! Don’t be shy or afraid to share with others the things that you and your family are doing to give back. Even if you inspire just one other person to follow in your footsteps, it won’t be in vein.
- Sit down with your family and collectively decide on a new charity to support for the upcoming year. Choose one that relates to something important to you, be it the environment, animal welfare, cancer research, education, children or wherever your heart leads you.
Are you looking to buy or sell real estate property here in South Walton? Melissa Clements is a seasoned real estate agent with years of experience and ample knowledge of this area. Contact her today to answer your questions and help you get started on your journey to buying or selling a home.